Prepare Your Car for Winter
Tips to winterize your car:
- Test your battery; battery power drops as the temperature drops
- Make sure the cooling system is in good working order
- Check the tire pressure; tire pressure drops as the temperature drops
- Check your wiper blades and replace if needed
- Turn your wiper blades up before the storm, so they do not get frozen against the window.
- Add wiper fluid rated for -30 degrees
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze
- Clean your car’s external camera lenses and side mirrors
- Remove dirt, ice and snow from sensors to allow the assistive-driving features, like automatic emergency braking, to work
- In frigid weather, you may want to warm up the car before you drive
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, never leave a vehicle running in your garage – even with the garage door up
- If the forecast looks iffy, wait out the storm; if you must travel, share your travel plans and route with someone before you leave
Stay safe and warm this winter season!